Wednesday, 27 April 2011

…it started with binding!

So yesterday morning, whilst waiting for Guy to finish his work so we could take the kids to Legoland I decided to do the binding for my yellow puff ball quilt.

Getting side tracked like you do when your looking through fabric, I came across some squares that I'd cut for my rainbow puffball. I'd cut them too small! Silly mistake, but I got to thinking… so I started to lay out a pattern on the floor.

 …so then I began to wonder if I had enough of the pink fabric and started to rummage through my sewing basket – the most likely place. I came across the pink, cool, but I also came across all the quilts that I currently have on the go at the moment… crikey! I lay them all out on the bed to take stock.

…my pink puffball has snuck into the shot on the left hand side, sneaky – that one is finished.

Rainbow puffball, colours look awful in the photo but it is a nearly completed project. Strips to sew on the bottom and then stuff, 1 extra square to add to each row because I want this one slightly bigger, quilt, and bind. Not sure what binding colour to use on this one but I have a lovely pale blue which I haven't used for the rainbow.

Tink's quilt in brown. Quite a lot to do on this one. Four more large squares to make as above. 16 hearts to applique. Heaven knows how many small squares around the outside. Quilt, bind and stitch. Crumbs the situation is worse than I thought.

Single size quilt, not the greatest photo again. I love this quilt. 5 rows sewn… not sure how many to go but the pile of fabric below says quite a few!

…see what I mean.

This is the start of one from Kaffe Fassett's quilt romance book. Hearts and Flowers by Kim McLean. I am a little disheartened with this one I'm afraid. For some reason, I decided to sew the applique using the freezer paper method, I much prefer needle turn method which I used for the flowered heart. I found it very hard going and am still to finish (I'm round to where the pins and needle are in the top photo), I just couldn't get the lovely smooth edges that I was after and just hated the way it wasn't tactile to hold, just hard and crunchy. I have loved the satisfaction of pulling the paper away from the finished area though. I really love the fabrics and I'm still undecided about continuing the whole quilt – I think I may turn this one into a large cushion cover for my bed!

…and then to my first dilemma – what binding and backing. I really wanted plain yellow but haven't got enough of the colour I like, not even enough to make bias binding. I'm tempted to go with the rabbits, I think it will frame the quilt nicely and cream backing. In my order of jobs to finish this is top of my list, other than that…

I restored my sewing basket to some sort of order – less the bulky puffballs, and await next week when the kids go back to school and I can sew to my little hearts content! After I've tidied the house, done the ironing, finished painting the bathroom cupboards… oh and the lawn needs mowing!

Happy sewing


1 comment:

  1. This just goes to show what a clever 'sew and sew' you are!! I would follow you but I don't know how so I'll just regularly read this blog for inspiration...


Thanks for reading – I would love to hear your comments.